Types of Headache Specialists You Can See


Many of us suffer from headaches on occasion. They often resolve on their own or with a couple of painkillers. However, other individuals have them frequently, for an extended period of time, or with extreme agony — and nothing seems to help. If you are one of these individuals, it may be beneficial to consult a headache specialist in Singapore.

Occasionally, home remedies and instructions from your primary care physician may not be sufficient to alleviate your headaches. You may want to consider consulting with a specialist if you:

Types of Headache Specialists
  • Have headaches so severe that they disrupt your work, school, or family life
  • Take aspirin, ibuprofen, acetaminophen, and other OTC medications often
  • Observe that your headaches are worsening
  • Concern yourself with taking too much medicine
  • You have visited the emergency room with a headache
  • More than fifteen headaches in the last month

Here are some kinds of headache experts you can see to help solve your problems.


These medical professionals address brain and nervous system problems. They may have further expertise and should be consulted if your headaches and migraines are severe or incapacitating, or if you have disorientation or seizures.

  • MRI. This scan makes it possible to obtain comprehensive pictures of the brain and its blood arteries. It would aid in detecting tumours, anomalies, bleeding, infection, and other brain or nervous system disorders.
  • The CT Scan. A CT scan will display cross-sections of your brain, which might assist in uncovering tumours, infections, traumas, bleeding, and other potential headache triggers.
  • EEG. An electroencephalogram measures brain waves to determine if they are operating normally or have been interrupted.


They are experts in the brain, nerve, and spinal cord problems. Neurosurgeons may be contacted if migraines and headaches do not respond to medicinal therapy.

Neurosurgeons can do surgical operations that your family physician or internist cannot. Typically, you would only have surgery if drugs were ineffective. Neurosurgeons can do the following:

  • Transcranial magnetic stimulation. Electrodes implanted within the brain transmit electrical pulses to target persistent pain.
  • Stimulation of the peripheral nerves. Electrodes are inserted on the nerves or beneath the skin in a painful location.

Eye, Nose, and Throat Physicians

If sinus problems cause your headache, ENTs, also known as otolaryngologists, may be worth consulting. Some migraines can produce ringing in the ears and pressure in the sinuses. The migraine condition known as vestibular migraine can cause dizziness. Inner ear issues can cause this type of vertigo.

A specialist in the ear, nose, and throat (ENT) may be able to assist you in determining the reason for your headaches.

Eye Surgeons

Ophthalmologists may be able to treat a severe disorder known as ocular migraines. About one-fourth of migraine sufferers get auras, which can impair vision. Another variety, referred to as retinal migraines, can cause temporary blindness. A doctor of optometry can assist in preventing vision loss and identifying underlying problems.


Obstetricians and gynaecologists concentrate on pregnancy, delivery, and other reproductive health concerns for women. Migraines affect women three times as frequently than males. Occasionally, they are caused by fluctuations in oestrogen and other hormones during menstrual cycles or pregnancy.

For menstrual migraines, your doctor may give a triptan, a family of medications that prevent or treat migraines.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *